KEEP IT LOCAL, SALEM!
You have a positive impact on our local economy when you buy from SSM vendors who are independent, locally owned businesses. You also reduce your impact on the earth!
TEN REASONS TO SHOP AT SALEM SATURDAY MARKET &
THE WEDNESDAY FARMERS' MARKETS
1. Locally grown food tastes better and, because it's fresher, it lasts longer. Locally grown produce is usually sold within 24 hours of being harvested.
2. Local produce is better for you and better for our environment. Buying local shrinks the number of miles food has to travel before being eaten. That translates into less use of fossil fuels and significant reductions in greenhouse gas emissions.
3. Local food preserves genetic diversity and is free of genetically modified biotechnology.
4. Buying local supports and strengthens local farm families and producers, providing jobs within our community.
5. Buying local connects our community and allows consumers to know the farmers, understand the seasons and respect the growing process.
6. Locally grown food preserves open spaces, supports a clean environment and benefits wildlife.
7. Buying local keeps more dollars in our community. One study shows that each dollar spent with a local grower is worth $2.50 for the community.
8. Buying local is a form of rebellion against industrial food and corporate farming.
9. Buying local is about the future, sustaining local farms, helping preserve the unique character of our community and helping you become a more engaged citizen.
10. Except for a couple grumps, we're not a bad lot to throw your support behind.
Sunday, March 29, 2009
Coming this Saturday, April 4th!
The Saturday Market returns, a month earlier than usual!