John Perkins' talk launches the MyPeace Project, a month of events in October featuring artistic visions of peace and sustainability by Oregonians that includes display art, performances, music, dance, poetry-prose, films, lectures, green living classes and tours, ending with a "Peace Shindig" celebration. For schedule of events: (503) 585-2767 or www.mypeaceproject.org.
Here is the full calendar of MyPeace events. Take a moment to enter them into your calendar now! All events are free unless otherwise noted.
- Sun, Sept. 19: Kites 4 Peace at Bush Park 2-4 pm.
- Tues, Sept. 21: John Perkins Lecture, Smith Auditorium, WU 7:30 pm.
- All September-October: "Whirled Peas" Quilts, Greenbaum's.
For more information on any of these events, visit www.bit.ly/mpschedule.
- 1st, Fri: Art and Mayoral Proclamation, Ladd & Bush Bank Lobby, 12-3 pm.
- 1st, Fri: Display Art, Coffee House Cafe Gallery 7-10 pm.
- 2nd, Sat: Solar & Green House Tour at Pringle Creek Community.
- 6th,Weds: 1st Wednesday: Doors 2 Peace display and Free Hugs downtown.
- 7th, Thurs: Dances of Universal Peace, Unitarian Universalist Church, 7 pm.
- 7th: M.C. Mehta, Global Climate Change, Willamette U. law school, 7 pm
- 8th, Fri: M.C. Mehta, "Ethical and Spiritual Considerations of Going Green," Marco Polo Restaurant. Buffet dinner at 6:30 pm. $30.
- 8th: Tom Rawson, folksinger, Capitol Manor Comm Ctr, 7 pm. $10-20
- 9th, Sat: "Living Peacefully," Written Performance Art, Coffee House Café.
- 9th: Arts for advocating peace in the public arena workshops, Capital Manor, 9 am - 3 pm.
- 10th, Sun: Performance Art Presentations - Grand Theatre 2-5 pm.
- 13th, Weds: Thich Nhat Hanh Mindfulness Peace Celebration, Woodland Chapel at 7 pm.
- 14th, Thurs: Salem Progressive Film Series: "Soldiers of Peace" - Grand Theater, 7 pm. $3/Students $2.
- 16th, Thurs: Yoga event, Pringle Creek Community, 8-9:30 am.
- 16th: "Promoting Peace Through Green Living," Pringle Creek Community, Sustainability Workshops, 9:30-11 am and Bike Clinic 1-5 pm.
- 21st, Tues: Salem Peace Lecture featuring Fr. John Dear. Mary Stuart Rogers Music Center, Hudson Hall, Willamette University. No charge. 7:30 pm.
- 22nd, Weds: Dancing with Conflict, Pt. I: Interfaith panel and Peace Visioning exercise, 7 pm, Putnam Center, Willamette University. No charge.
- 23rd, Thurs: Dancing with Conflict Pt. II: Conflict Resolution skill-building, 8:30 am - 4 pm, Putnam Center, Willamette University, Registration: $10-25 sliding scale.
- 24th, Fri: Peace Kite Flying on Make a Difference Day, 2-4 pm, Riverfront Park. Music & food provided.
- 30th, Sat: Peace Shindig, West Salem Masonic Lodge 7-10 pm. (Admission: Adult - $10 or $7 w/ 3 canned goods; Children - $7 or $5 w/ 3 canned goods All canned goods will be donated to Marion-Polk Food Share.)
Information is changing daily so if you don't find what you need, please check back in a day or two or call Oregon PeaceWorks at 503-585-2767.
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Image by Adele McAlear via FlickrQuite a lineup of activities and brainfood events for Oregon Peaceworks' "MyPeace" month: